Name:
Location: Cranberry bogs, Cape Cod MA, United States

"I used to be a reporter too ..."

14 August 2005

The curse of the Globe Cicadas

To: Letters@globe.com, ombud@globe.com
Subject: The curse of the Globe Cicadas
Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2005 3:54 PM


Your editorial today -- Eternal August -- means summer is officially over.

Every August, your Major League parent paper in Gotham City writes an end of summer editorial about "cicadas" chirping away on the coast of Downeast Maine somewhere. It's an annual event like the Nyhan column of not getting accepted at Harvard. It's something we all have come to wait for.

I think you beat the Times to it this year. The curse of the cicadas is here. And summer is on its way out. Officially.

By the way, I've lived here all my life and I don't think I've ever heard anyone talk about the cicadas, except editorial writers. Could cicadas be a fancy word for heat bugs ?

Same thing with -- looking ahead -- Nor'Easters. Who, other than editorial writers or weather people on TV, talk like that ?

Ayuh .. make yuh wondah.

Back to my clam chowdah and fried scallops now as I listen to the "cicadas" sing their song of summer's end.

Yr lyl rdr - Cranberry Bog Fox

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home